Primary schools 2009
In 2009, 250 children from 9 primary schools came together to form 5 twinned groups of around 50 kids each. They learned drama skills from Jungle Theatre, percussion from Red Zebra and recycled costume-making from Junkanew in weekly workshops through terms 3 and 4. The theme for Carnival 2009 was 'The Big 5' and the groups were:
- Imhoff Waldorf and Marine Primary, Ocean View: BABOONS
- Bay Primary, Fish Hoek and St James Primary, Kalk Bay:SHARKS
- Kommetjie Primary and Ukhanyo Primary, Masiphumelele: LEOPARD TOADS
- Kleinberg Primary and the LSEN (Learners with Special Educational Needs) School, Ocean View: WHALES
- Simon’s Town School and Ukhanyo Primary, Masiphumelele: PENGUINS
Each school had a visit from a local animal 'expert' half way through term 3 to help them interpret their group animal for the end of term performance. On carnival day, the children paraded together wearing their Big 5 hats, displaying pride and care for our local wildlife, and played percussion as a unified group. Local community newspaper the False Bay Echo followed their progress with weekly pictures and rewarded participating schools with sweets and certificates on the big day.
With many thanks to our stalwart teachers for their enthusiasm and commitment, without whom…
Debbie Mazwi at Marine Primary, Alex Stott at Imhoff Waldorf, Annabel Burnett at St James Primary, Loren Bowen at Bay Primary, Ernest Jilana at Ukhanyo Primary, Jane Texeira at Kommetjie Primary, Charmaine Koopman at LSEN, Shafiek George at Kleinberg Primary and Anthra Beyers at Simonstown School.